What are the Warning Signs of Severe Depression?
Depression is a common mental health issue. Although common it is a serious illness that causes a low mood and a loss of interest in activities. It ranges in severity; it can be a quiet, moderate, or severe depression. In the case of milder depression, an individual may struggle with symptoms like sadness, irritability, and fatigue that last for weeks and sometimes longer.
Mild depression affects your daily life and relationships; however, severe depression comes with intense symptoms like significant appetite and weight loss, sleep issues, and constant thoughts of suicide or death. It can cause self-imposed isolation and makes it difficult for you to get out of bed or leave your house. Not sure of the signs of severe depression? Here are the symptoms associated with this disease.
- Insomnia or sleeping too much
- Loss of interest in activities you once loved
- Constant thoughts of something terrible happening
- Thoughts of suicide or attempts, or death
- In worst cases, the person begins to hallucinate or become delusional
- Unable to care for self like eating, bathing, or meeting up with family or work responsibilities.
While depression comes with overwhelming negative emotions, especially hopelessness, you can always talk to your healthcare provider about treatment options. Regardless of your feelings, severe depression symptoms can be treated.