Factors that Influence Mental Health
It's mental health day, and the theme is mental health in an unequal world.
We live in a society where people with mental health challenges are considered weak, and shamed when they talk about their struggles.
According to WHO, mental health is a state of well being in which everyone realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her/his community.
Your mental health is as important as your physical health including other aspects of health. When you cannot perform these due to functional impairment in one or more major life activities, then it is considered as mental ill health or mental disorder.
Many factors influence one's mental health.
- Genetic factors; some people show resilience towards adversities, while others can't.
- Diet; poor or low quality diet is linked to depression
- Psychological factors; self esteem or self-confidence
- Environmental factors; stressful and traumatic environmental experiences greatly affect ones mental health especially at the early years of life
- Social factors; difference in status, economic situation, education, access to care and support
Aside from these, physical inactivity and poor sleep lead to depression, anxiety, insomnia or sleep apnea.
Did you learn something new? Leave a comment.