Photo credit: Google
N.B: This content is not in any way advertising this product, but rather educating people about its use.
An average Nigerian, man and woman, irrespective of their marital status abuse postinor-2 and other emergency pills around.
Some women use postinor after every sexual encounter, whether they are ovulating or not.
Some think it's an abortion pill and use it witht intention of terminating their pregnancy. Being a hormonal drug, Postinor-2 either delays ovulation or prevent the sperm from fertilizing the egg.
It bothers me when someone talks about how they use this drug every now and then. So I wonder, did this company fully explain the function of this drug? After going through the drug's leaflet, I realized that they have complete guide(does and don't) but people don't care to read it at all.
For clarity purpose here are basic information you need to know before using Postinor-2:
- Postinor-2 is an emergency contraceptives only and not intended as a regular method of contraception.
- It is used to prevent when taken within 72hours of unprotected intercourse (fertile window/ovulation).
Before you take Postinor-2, discuss with your doctor if you have:
- Diabetes mellitus (with kidney, eye, or nerve damage, or vascular disease).
- Ischaemic heart disease(heart disease caused by reduced blood flow in the blood vessels of the heart muscle)
- Suffered a stroke
- Severe liver disease.
- If you have any of these conditions, you may not be able to take Postinor-2.
- If you are vomiting or have severe diarrhoea after taking the drug, your doctor may recommend a higher dose.
Do not take Postinor-2 if:
- You are pregnant
- You have previously had unprotected intercourse more than 72 hours earlier in the same menstrual cycle, as you may already be pregnant.
- Experiencing vaginal bleeding for unknown reasons
- The tablet looks funny or not right.
Medicines that interfere with postinor tablet are;
Medicines for treating epilepsy, tuberculosis, HIV infection, fungal infections, herbal remedies that contains St John's wort.
You can't take Postinor-2 if you are allergic to some of its ingredients.
Do not breast feed within three days after taking Postinor-2.
After taking Postinor-2, use condoms during every sexual encounter till you see your next period.
Common side effects are:
- Vagina bleeding/spotting
- Skin reactions
- Stomach pain
- Tender breast
Other side effects may occur in some patients, while some don't have any side effects.